PCG, Presbyterian Church of Ghana
The Presbyterian Church of Ghana (PCG) is one of this country's oldest churches. It has its roots in the work of the Basel Mission, which dispatched the first missionaries to the Gold Coast in 1828. With some 500,000 members, the PCG is one of the country's largest churches. It is represented throughout the country with 154 districts and over 1,000 congregations and stations as well as numerous institutions. The PCG's work comprises projects in many diverse areas. Examples include: strengthening interfaith dialogue, schools and educational institutions ranging from kindergartens to secondary schools and a vocational training college, work with women, and also healthcare (including four hospitals and basic healthcare programmes as well as an eye clinic). With the objective of providing a holistic service for the people, the PCG accords high priority to agricultural programmes; in view of the growing social problems in cities, it also runs special programmes for drug addicts and prostitutes, and undertakes prison work. The PCG adopts an ecumenical stance. It is a member of the All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) and the World Council of Churches (WCC), the World Alliance of Reformed Churches (WARC) and the World Alliance of Presbyterian Churches.